How To Find A Job You Love: Are You Stuck In An Unfulfilling Job?
Hi, this is Caroline, your career coach and mentor.
Today, I want to make a video for those who find themselves in an unfulfilling job.
We know that the solution to that is not always as simple as getting another job.
It’s more complicated than that so I broke down the whole process into three actionable steps.
Some of the main questions that my clients ask me during the Career Success Program are these:
- How can I be sure that the new job that I’m going to is different from my current opportunity?
- How can I make sure that I don’t have the grass-is-greener-on-the-other-side syndrome?
- How can I be sure that I won’t end up in a situation that is similar or even worse?
These are the internal fears that a lot of people have and it’s the reason why they stay in an unfulfilling role.
In addition to their internal fear, they also have external questions like:
- How do I write a resume that stands out?
- I haven’t looked for a job in five years and I know it’s super competitive. How do I get noticed?
- Recruiters never call me back. How do I bypass recruiters?
- How do I nail an interview?
- What do you do in interviews these days?
Because of all of these internal struggles, you end up doing nothing and you just tolerate the environment you’re in regardless if it’s unfulfilling or toxic.
I would never suggest that you do that because this is your career that we’re talking about and the only person who should really care about that is you.
We look at all these questions like a big mountain that we have to climb and we end up paralysed.
Hopefully, these simple steps will encourage you to take action.
1. Get crystal clear.
We all know the concept of an elevator pitch and you'll need one for yourself.
You need to articulate the values that you can create and why people should hire you or promote you.
You need to know yourself and what you want to do in your career.
We often don’t think about this and because of that, we do a disservice to ourselves and our career.
Get crystal clear about who you truly are, what your values are and how you want them to be represented in the organisation.
This way, you can be sure that the organisation you join is aligned with your values.
This is how you minimise risk.
2. Think about your self-marketing materials.
Your self-marketing materials are your resume, LinkedIn profile and cover letter.
Once you get crystal clear, updating these materials becomes easier because you already have the foundation.
But what’s really important about your self-marketing materials is that they’re authentic.
You don’t have to customise it each time you apply for a role because by then, it loses its authenticity.
Authenticity comes from within.
It’s aligned with your values and it makes you unique.
3. Create a strategy.
I can tell you right now that applying online will put you in a very high competition with almost a hundred other applicants with the same skills and qualifications.
You need a strategy on how to bypass or connect with certain people to get your foot in the door.
Sometimes, you may need to outsmart the system because by being reactive or by just pressing a button, you may get into a black hole where you’ll never hear back from the company you’ve applied for.
I work on all of these from start to finish with my clients for a period of six weeks.
In six weeks, you can turn your career around.
You’ll have all these three elements done and dusted.
Take a careful look at each area in order to move forward.
Following these small steps can create a massive impact in the end.
And if you work with me, you can reach it as soon as six weeks.
I hope this video inspired you and I also want you to do three things:
- Connect with me so you’ll get notified as soon as I upload a new video.
- Like and share this video with as many people who need to hear this message.
- Book a free session with me if you want to create a personal brand that’s authentic and would land you a 6-figure job.
Thank you very much and see you in my next video!